Los Angeles Premises Liability Attorney
A Los Angeles premises liability attorney can help when a victim has been injured due to hazardous or dangerous conditions on someone else’s property.
While premises liability is a broad term, it basically refers to any accident involving negligence which happens in a location that is owned or run by someone else. This can include public and private properties such as parks, beaches, apartment complexes, theaters, shops, malls and amusement parks.
Premise liability cases can involve a wide range of causes, including fires, swimming pool accidents, slip-and-fall injuries, dog bite attacks, sub-par security, and much more. When the negligence of a property owner/manager contributes to the accident or injury, a good premises liability lawyer in Los Angeles can help victims seek compensation for the injuries, damages and losses they have suffered.
For immediate assistance, please call today on (323) 238-4683 for help from a top-rated Los Angeles premises liability attorney.
Business and property owners are required to protect visitors to their locations, and this includes upkeep on the property and regularly checking for safety hazards.
If an injury takes place at a location such as a mall, school or other business in Los Angeles – and the property owner is found to be negligent – then the victim will have a valid claim against the property or business owner.
A Los Angeles premises liability lawyer can help a victim navigate the legal system and fight for justice.
Types of Premises Liability Claims in Los Angeles
There are several types of premises liability claims that are filed in Los Angeles. Here are just a few examples that we commonly encounter:
- Slip-and-fall accidents: These are accidents that occur regularly, on a daily basis in all different locations. However, some slip-and-fall accidents, as well as tripping accidents, are more serious than others. Slip-and-fall accidents can result in severe and debilitating injuries, especially for the elderly.
A common example of a slip-and-fall accident is when an individual slips on a grocery store floor. This is often due to a spillage not being cleared in a timely manner, with no wet floor sign deployed.
- Fires and explosions: It is a key responsibility of property owners to maintain their premises and ensure that vital safety features are in place. For example, an apartment complex in Los Angeles is required to be compliant with earthquake code and must have fire alarms and sprinklers in good working order. Failure to install mandatory features can be a basis for a premises liability case.
- Swimming pool accidents: With its year-round good weather, pools are popular in and around Los Angeles. Unfortunately, swimming pool accidents are also very common. Drowning and near-drowning incidents are particularly dangerous. Slip injuries are also common at pools. The property or pool owner may be liable in such cases.
- Government Property Accidents: Incidents can happen at public places, such as city-run parks and government buildings. In such cases, a claim can be filed against the government entity in charge of maintaining and ensuring the safety of the property.
Under California Government Code 911.2, any personal injury claim against a governmental entity must be properly filed within 180 days of the incident.
- Dog attacks: Animal attacks, when they occur on someone's property, can become the basis for premises liability claims. For example, if a landlord knows of a dangerous dog on their property and does nothing about it, they could be held liable for a dog bite attack.
- Amusement park accidents: The Greater Los Angeles area is home to world-famous amusement parks including Six Flags and Universal Studios, while Disneyland is nearby in Orange County.
When an amusement park accident is caused by poor maintenance or operator negligence, there may be a premises liability claim.
Amusement park premise liability claims can include:
- Wet floor slips. Bathroom floors, aquarium floors, and areas which have been rinsed off can all be dangerous.
- Falls from raised platforms with no handrails or loose bases.
- Whiplash from unexpected sudden jarring movements, braking or acceleration on rides.
- Staff misconduct on park property. This can consist of bad food safety practices, reckless endangerment with transportation vehicles, mechanical devices, poor maintenance, and other potentially dangerous activities to park goers.
Amusement Parks are run by large firms. They have strong legal teams and attorneys standing by at all times, prepared for any claim and any situation. It is important to hire the best Los Angeles premises liability lawyers possible to fight large corporations. Bisnar Chase has the experience and resources to handle the biggest cases.
- Other types of premise liability case: Other premise liability causes can include sub-par property maintenance, elevator and escalator accidents, leaks and flooding, toxic fumes, chemicals, mold and more.
How Can Your Law Firm Help Me If I was Injured on Someone's Premises?
Here are just a few premise liability case examples that we see regularly:
Store slip-and-fall injury:
The law firm would investigate if negligence was involved to pursue a claim. When a person is hurt in a fall, it does not automatically mean they can sue. A good premises liability attorney in Los Angeles needs to prove that negligence was involved.
Workplace fall injury:
This may be considered a worker’s comp claim if it is an on-the-job injury. Bisnar Chase does not take on workers comp cases unless it is a third-party injury. For example, if builders left power cords in the way at your place of work, causing a trip accident, we could file a claim against the builders.
We have seen many incidents involving apartment handrails giving way. A building owner is in charge of making sure rails are safe. If they have been negligent, then you have a case.
There are countless other examples of potential premises liability cases. Contact us to find out if we can help.
What is the Benefit of Consulting with a Los Angeles Slip and Fall Attorney?
Los Angeles slip-and-fall attorneys specialize in these cases. By opting for one of our slip-and-fall specialists, a victim is sure to be counseled by someone who has years of experience in premise liability law.
Why is Proving Negligence Important?
Not all injuries will result in successful claims. In some cases, accidents happen, and there is no one to blame. For example, if you slip on a spilled soda at the mall, but the spillage happened moments before the slip, there is no way it could have been dealt with. In this case, there is no premise liability.
But if the soda was on the floor, had been reported, but was not dealt with, then there may be a case for negligence. It is vital that negligence can be proved by your Los Angeles premises liability lawyer for your compensation claim to be successful.
What Should I do After a Premises Accident in Los Angeles?
- Immediately seek medical attention. This will ensure your safety, as well as providing proof of your injuries.
- Document everything. Write down exactly what happened, and get contact details for anyone who saw the incident. You could also take pictures of the location, your injuries, and anything else which could be relevant – such as your shoes or clothing.
- Report the accident. Inform the relevant people of your accident, such as a mall manager. But do not give a formal statement if possible, or accept any blame. Always speak to a lawyer first.
- Contact a lawyer. Get a free consultation with an experienced premise liability attorney at Bisnar Chase.
We can help explore your rights and find out if there is a case to open a claim. It is important to get the ball rolling since there are time limits on personal injury cases.
Successful Premises Liability Case Study
Bisnar Chase has provided top-class representation to countless clients in premises liability cases.
One of the first cases that firm partner Brian Chase went to trial on was a slip-and-fall case against retail giant Walmart. Our client was Christmas shopping with her kids at a Walmart store when she slipped in semi-dried vomit on the floor. She suffered a serious back injury in the fall.
The Walmart attorneys were relentless, but Bisnar Chase provided expert representation and won a large verdict for the client. The chain lodged an appeal, but our firm prevailed again – securing extra costs and interest.
One of the most eye-opening aspects of premises liability cases is the wide variety of events which fall under this label. It is much more than just slip-and-fall accidents. The Los Angeles premises liability attorneys of Bisnar Chase have extensive experience in all kinds of cases and can offer the help you need.
Injured victims need to protect their rights. They should seek prompt medical attention, file a report with the right authorities, and document evidence including doctor's visits, medical expenses and days missed at work. These could all affect the amount of compensation they receive.
Injured victims can seek damages including:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Hospitalization and rehabilitation
- Permanent injuries
- Lost future income
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
Negotiating with Insurance Companies
Many defendants in premises liability cases have insurance companies and legal defense teams that will do their best to make the claims go away.
It is important to understand that insurance companies do not have your best interests in mind. It is the job of insurance agents to save money for their firm, not to ensure the best outcome for you. For example, an insurance firm may try to gain access to your medical records, Often, they will do so to try to prove that victims have prior conditions which may be responsible for their injuries. A Los Angeles premises liability attorney may be able to help you take on the insurance company and win.
It would be in your best interests as the plaintiff to refrain speaking with insurance firms or defense lawyers without first talking to your own lawyer. Make sure you have someone in your corner who will fight for your rights.
If you or a loved one has been injured, please contact an experienced Los Angeles premises liability attorney at Bisnar Chase today. Our team of personal injury lawyers has an outstanding record when it comes to premise liability cases, and we are dedicated to helping victims.
Bisnar Chase has been handling personal injury cases for more than 40 years, building up a 96% success rate and winning more than $500 million for our clients.
Set up a free, no-obligation consultation to find out if we can help you!