San Diego Bus Accident Attorneys
The San Diego Bus Accident Lawyers at the Law Firm of Bisnar Chase have been specializing in school bus, tour bus and public transit accident cases for over 40 years.
Our law group has earned millions of dollars for personal injury victims and has sustained a 96% success rate at winning cases.
If you have experienced great pain and suffering as a result of a San Diego bus accident, you may be able to file a claim against the bus company for damages no matter if you are a passenger on the bus, or injured outside the bus.
Contact our offices now for a free consultation at 1-800-561-4887.
Common Carrier Law & the California Statute of Limitations
California's common carrier law states that "A carrier of persons for reward must use the utmost care and diligence for their safe carriage, must provide everything necessary for that purpose, and must exercise to that end a reasonable degree of skill."
A common carrier is defined as any entity that transports a group of people. Types of common carriers can include school buses, tour buses and city buses. California enforces a strict common carrier law in order to protect the passengers on the carrier. If the bus company, manufacturer or driver fails to keep the passengers of the carrier safe, that entity is legally responsible for the damages that took place after the incident.
5 Causes of San Diego Bus Accidents
Traveling by bus has become an increasingly popular transportation option for San Diego residents. As congestion on highways continues to increase, more commuters are choosing to let someone else do the driving, rather than sit in traffic. However, more buses on the roads mean more bus accidents, and more injuries and deaths from bus accidents.
If a bus driver is not careful they can put many passengers at risk.
Some risks that bus drivers must be cautious of are:
- Weather conditions: Factors such as rain, snow and even wind speed can cause a bus accident. Bus drivers should not underestimate weather conditions and put themselves at risk just to get passengers to their location on time. How do weather events impact roads? The U.S. Department of Transportation reported that in a period of ten years 5,376 people were killed due to weather-related conditions in truck, bus and car accidents. The number one cause of these vehicle accidents was due to vehicles slipping on wet pavement.
- Driver negligence: When a bus driver is negligent this means that he/she made poor judgment and behavior when operating the bus. Poor judgment can encompass trying to surpass a smaller vehicle or choosing to get behind the wheel after consuming alcohol. Poor training and lack of reinforcing proper procedures can also contribute to a driver's negligence. If a bus driver's negligence caused severe injuries or a wrongful death then the driver can face serious legal repercussions.
- Inadequate security: Accidents involving buses can take place if the bus driver or bus company did not take proper steps to protect their passengers from theft, sexual assault or death. Bus companies should have procedures set in place that will keep people on the bus safe. One of the most common means of security that buses can contain are security cameras. Security cameras can be used as a strong piece of evidence so victims can receive the compensation they deserve for physical or emotional damages.
- Defective equipment: If a bus accident occurs due to equipment being faulty then the manufacturer of the bus or the manufacturer of the bus part that caused the accident can be sued. Common faulty parts are usually in relation to the batteries, tires, brakes or engine. The way to prevent serious injuries or bus collisions is checking if all parts are properly functioning and owners putting buses through extensive inspections before allowing passengers to ride. You are entitled to the highest level of safety and care as a passenger on a bus; this is a higher level of duty than that is owed to pedestrians and drivers of other vehicles. To fully understand your rights as the victim of a bus accident, you need to call an attorney experienced in bus accidents.
- Improper maintenance: Not maintaining the upkeep on a bus can save bus companies a great amount of money but worn-out equipment can lead to a devastating bus wreck. When a bus company does not take preventative measures to ensure the bus is safe enough to drive such as switching out tires or checking if the engine is functioning properly this can be an act of negligence. Privately owned tour and charter bus companies are required to maintain their vehicles to ensure not just the safety of their passengers, but also the safety of other motorists. Unfortunately, this is not always the case and commercial bus accidents take place in the state of California each year due to negligence.
Who is Responsible When a San Diego Bus Collision Injury?
There could be a number of factors at play, therefore bus accidents require thorough investigations. It could appear as though the driver was at fault, on the surface, yet, there could be a hidden defect or a faulty part that was ignored upon further inspection. This evidence can determine the result of a lawsuit settlement. Claims for damages against a public, private or governmental entity are complex and must be filed in a timely manner. In addition, the laws can vary greatly depending on the particular circumstances of the accident.
The Amount of San Diego Bus Crash Compensation You Can Win
There is not a clear cut amount that can be won for every personal injury case. Do not trust online calculators. Online calculations do not take all factors of your case into account and can give you an estimated amount that is either too high or too low. The amount that you will receive for compensation will depend on the losses you have experienced because of a bus crash.
You can receive recovery for expenses such as:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Personal property damage
San Diego School Bus Accidents
Bus crashes involving children can be devastating. Parents expect their children to be securely transported to their destination. When that does not occur they can be left in a state of panic and immediately want to find out the condition of their child.
Recently dozens of children taken to hospital after school bus involved in a crash. The children involved in that San Diego bus crash were survived with minor injuries. This is just one of many accidents that have involved school buses in California. Parents have the right to file a claim on behalf of their child if the minor has experienced catastrophic injuries. You need the advice of a San Diego bus accident lawyer experienced in these types of personal injury cases. Since 1978, Bisnar Chase has helped thousands of injured people get justice, and we can do the same for you.
Injuries That are Commonly Experienced in a Bus Crash
When passengers board a bus for transportation they are putting their safety in the hands of the driver. When bus collisions take place and a rider's safety has been compromised, he/she has the potential to be paralyzed for the rest of their life or even lose their life. For the passengers that survive a San Diego bus accident, the injuries can be extensive.
Frequent injuries sustained in a San Diego bus crash are:
- Spinal cord injuries: Any damage done to the nerves of the spinal cord can be dangerous and even permanent. Spinal cord injuries are placed in two different categories which include complete and incomplete injuries. The difference in both of these injuries is the level of movement the bus accident victim has left after a collision. If the injured still has some sensory abilities in the damaged area then this is considered an incomplete injury. If the person has lost all sensory abilities and motor function this is a complete spinal cord injury. Most complete spinal cord injuries lead to victims being a tetraplegic for life.
- Cuts or lacerations: When the skin tissue is separated or torn apart this is known as a cut or laceration. Cuts are classified by their level of severity. Gashes and avulsions are cuts that are considered to be more harmful because people who have these type of these lacerations usually have skin torn off of their body. If you are involved in an accident and you see yourself bleeding, experts say to put pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding. Seek medical attention right away so you can not only prevent further infection but to also prevent further scarring of the skin. Cuts have a 24-hour window to be repaired and waiting to see a doctor can worsen the wound.
- Bone fractures: Buses can range from 23,000-25,000 pounds in weight. When incidents involving bus collisions occur victims are left with multiple broken bones. San Diego bus accident victims can be thrown violently from their seats which can lead them to hit parts of the bus vigorously. Broken bones can cost families greatly in terms of medical expenses and can leave people out of work for weeks or months at a time. Sadly, accident victims who have suffered from bone fractures sometimes are never able to heal entirely from the bus crash.
If you have been injured in a bus crash you may be entitled to compensation. The San Diego bus accident attorneys of Bisnar Chase have many years of experience representing the residents of San Diego.
We've collected over $500 Million in settlements and verdicts and may be able to recover money for you too.
Call the Law Office of Bisnar Chase at 1-800-561-4887.