Laguna Niguel Motorcycle Accident Attorneys
How can you seek compensation for your medical expenses and lost earnings?
If you have been seriously injured in a Laguna Niguel bike crash, you may be left with several questions. An experienced Laguna Niguel Motorcycle Accident Lawyer can help you better understand the legal options and actions you can take after your motorcycle incident.
The law firm of Bisnar Chase has represented countless injury victims and has held wrongdoers accountable for 40 years. Call us today and earn a free consultation with a bike collision expert. Be one of the numerous clients we have helped win millions for their motorcycle accident case.
Contact our Orange County law offices at 949-203-3814.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
According to California Highway Patrol's recent Statewide Integrated Traffic Records System (SWITRS), there were no fatalities, but three injuries reported as a result of motorcycle accidents in the city of Laguna Niguel. Throughout Orange County, 17 people were killed and 735 were injured due to motorcycle accidents during the same year.
Guide of What Actions to Take After a Bike Crash
It is possible that you will be incapacitated and unable to do anything following an accident beyond going to the hospital for treatment. If, however, you are capable of collecting information, there are a number of steps you can take to help protect your rights.
- Contact the authorities: Under California law, the authorities must be notified if someone has been injured in an accident.
- Exchange information: It is important to get contact information, insurance details, license number and license plate numbers of all drivers and vehicles involved. If there are any witnesses to the crash, it would be a good idea to get their names and contact information as well.
- Take photos: If you don't have a camera, hopefully, you have a mobile phone that can take photos. You will want to get photos of the crash site, the damaged vehicles, the positioning of the vehicles and any injuries you have suffered.
- Take notes: You would be well advised to write down when, where and how the crash occurred for future reference.
- Filing an accident report : If the authorities arrive, you should get your side of the story in the report. If the authorities do not come to the crash scene, file a report with the nearest police station as soon as possible.
- Seek medical attention: The best way to increase your chances of a full recovery is to seek medical attention right away. Doing so not only creates a record, but it also shows that you sought prompt treatment to maximize your chances of making a quick and full recovery.
5 Common Motorcycle Crash Injuries You Can Be Compensated For
Depending on the severity of the accident, injury victims can be left paralyzed or even worse; dead. If a rider's accident was not deadly, many are left wondering if their injury is serious enough to be compensated for. Note that just because an injury does not present itself as debilitating at first, does not mean that an accident victim will not feel the excruciating effects later. It is important to seek medical attention right away for your injuries before they worsen. Medical bills can be expensive but with the help of an experienced Laguna Niguel motorcycle accident lawyer, you will win the finances you need to cover the cost of your injuries.
Common injuries that have been claimed in a motorcycle accident include:
- Traumatic brain injuries: Research has indicated that over 50%-70% of traumatic head injuries are caused by vehicle collisions. If you have suffered from a brain injury and you were wearing a helmet you could still be diagnosed with a concussion or hematoma. Riders are required to wear safety gear such as helmets when they are operating a motorcycle. Just because a cyclist wears a helmet though does not mean they are entirely protected in an accident. At times helmets can make it difficult for cyclists to see or hear. The best way to ensure that your head is well protected is to try out multiple helmets and see which one is right for you.
- Bikers arm: Biker's arm is associated with the way a rider protects themselves during a motorcycle accident. Usually, bikers shield their face with their arms to safeguard their body. Feeling the effects of a biker's arm may not be apparent immediately after a crash though. Symptoms of a biker's arm may present themselves weeks or months after a bike crash. Symptoms of a biker's arm include the loss of being able to use fingers and numbness in the arm. The loss of sensation is due to the destruction of nerves, but bikers' arm can be treated with medication and physical therapy. Damage to the nerves in the arm may be permanent but does not mean that a rider will lose the entire function of their arm altogether.
- Road Rash : When a motorcyclist falls and scrapes their skin during an accident this is known as road rash. Motorcyclists who walk away with scrapes can be painful. There are different degrees of road rash that a rider can be diagnosed with. The first-degree of road rash involves the swelling and redness of the skin. First-degree road rashes appear as if a person has been sunburned. Second-degree road rash includes the skin breaking and road debris such as dirt or chards of glass being found in the wound. Scarring may take place from a second-degree burn. With the correct medical treatment though scarring can be minimal. A person who has suffered from a third-degree burn can lose five layers of skin and the bone or tissue could be clearly seen after the bike incident. Third-degree burns leave some with a high chance of infection and skin grafting will potentially be an option to reduce scarring.
- Muscle injuries: Riders who have suffered from muscle damage from a bike crash may become immobile and lose the ability to perform day-to-day tasks. The way in which you can avoid having muscle damage is similar to what a rider must do to avoid road rash: wear protective gear. If the body is exposed, for instance, if a driver is wearing shorts this can leave the body vulnerable to injuries. A muscle that is not always protected most of the time is also the ear. People who do wear helmets run the risk of damaging their hearing and can potentially become deaf. You can take preventive measures by wearing earplugs under your helmet.
- Leg injury: The most common bones that are fractured in a bike accident are the arms and the legs. The bones specifically in the leg that are being affected are the knee, feet or ankles. The process of recovery for a leg injury can be long and do require a great amount of physical therapy. One way that you can protect your lower body while riding is wearing motorcycle protection gear such as knee pads or motorcycle boots. Even if you have the confidence to move after an accident it is important that you remain still. Broken bones are not only painful but if you move while the injury is still fresh you can make your condition worse. Wait to be transported to an emergency room.
Every case is different. So it is difficult to estimate how much your claim may be worth. You can, however, calculate all of the financial losses you have suffered. Medical expenses, lost wages, cost of hospitalization, surgeries, rehabilitation – can all be included in your claim.
An experienced Laguna Niguel motorcycle accident lawyer can also help victims estimate non-economic damages such as pain and suffering and emotional distress.
Ideally, the at-fault driver's insurance will offer you a settlement that covers all of your medical bills, lost wages and other related damages. Unfortunately, many insurance companies deny valid claims and the only recourse the victim has is to file a personal injury claim. A personal injury claim is a civil lawsuit that injured victims of Laguna Niguel motorcycle accidents can file against the at-fault driver. These types of lawsuits may result in a settlement or in a ruling. In either case, financial compensation may become available for all of the victim’s losses.
How a Laguna Niguel Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Can Help
If you have suffered a serious injury in a motorcycle crash, the experienced Laguna Niguel Motorcycle Accident Lawyers at Bisnar Chase Personal Injury Attorneys can help you better understand your legal rights and options.
We offer free consultations and comprehensive case evaluations to injured victims and their families.
Contact us to find out more information and get help on your road to recovery today.
Call us at 949-203-3814.