Video Captures E-Cigarette Explosion in Man’s Pocket
A nightclub owner in France has recounted the moment an e-cigarette burst into flames in his jacket pocket. According to a news report, nightclub owner Amine Britel was standing outside his club when his c-cigarette began sparking and exploded in a ball of fire. The dramatic incident was caught on CCTV. The incident took place outside the Toulouse club with the flames melting the man’s jacket.
Britel said he was startled by a loud bang and a noise like a flare had gone off, except it was 10 times louder. He said he initially did not realize what had happened to him, but that he felt the pain later. Emergency crews rushed to the scene. Britel was transported to an area emergency room where doctors determined that he had suffered second-degree burn injuries across the right side of his abdomen. He also suffered burn injuries around his fingers because he tried to put the fire out.
Not An Isolated Incident
Officials at the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) say that the explosion was not an isolated incident. Federal officials said they are aware that between 2009 and January 2016, there were at least 134 reported of e-cigarettes overheating, igniting or exploding. Of those incidents, 56 were reported in 2015 and 10 were reported just in January of 2016. The U.S. Department of Transportation in May prohibited passengers and crewmembers from carrying e-cigarettes in checked-in baggage.
The problem with e-cigarettes lies with the lithium-ion batteries that power them. Manufacturers warn consumers that they should be careful which chargers they use to charge the batteries and that they shouldn’t be putting the devices in their pockets along with loose change, keys or other metallic objects, which could spark a fire or explosion. However, news reports have repeatedly shown that e-cigarettes have exploded or caught fire even when there were no other dangerous factors. Many e-cigarettes have exploded on people’s faces as they were using them.
There have been numerous lawsuits filed in California and across the nation against retailers and manufacturers of these dangerous and defective devices by people who have suffered serious burn injuries and scarring from e-cigarette explosions. If you have been injured in such an incident, it is important to remember that you have legal rights. You may be able to receive compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, hospitalization, permanent injuries, pain and suffering and emotional distress. An experienced California personal injury lawyer will be able to advice you regarding your rights and options.