Raw Sprouts at Jimmy John’s Linked to Another Salmonella Outbreak
Raw sprouts may be second worst thing to put in your mouth — right after one of those Tide laundry pods — in 2018. According to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), the multistate salmonella outbreak in Jimmy John’s restaurants is linked to raw sprouts served at the sandwich chain’s restaurants in Wisconsin and Illinois. Sprouts in general are a well-established source of foodborne illnesses. But this most recent one is at least the seventh time since 2008 that raw sprouts at Jimmy John’s have specifically caused food poisoning outbreaks.
Several Cases Reported
As a result, Jimmy John’s took sprouts off the menu at all of its 2,727 restaurants nationwide as a precautionary measure. The restaurant’s owner has said they are working with state and federal agencies in their ongoing investigations into the outbreak. So far, the outbreak seems to have been connected to contaminated clover sprouts, possibly originating from two growers in Minnesota.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) reports that eight people have been sickened across three states as a result of this salmonella outbreak. No one has died or been hospitalized as a result of these infections. The first case was reported Dec. 20 and the most recent case was reported on Jan. 3. Officials are saying that more recent cases may not have been counted due to the time lag in reporting.
Sprouts Can Be Tricky
The consumers affected were all infected with a strain of Salmonella Montevideo bacteria. Some of the common symptoms of salmonella include fever, stomach cramps and diarrhea. However, if symptoms get worse or if the infection spreads to the blood, it could become life threatening and require hospitalization. The situation is more dangerous for younger children, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems.
Varieties of sprouts such as alflalfa, clover, radish and mung bean, can be risky to eat because of their long history of causing salmonella and E. coli outbreaks. This is because the seeds offer a safe haven for bacteria. The seeds could pick up germs before being harvested where they may be exposed to contaminated water or feces from wild animals. They are also stored in warm conditions after harvest causing bacteria to grow exponentially. Indeed, sprouts may be something we may want to avoid putting in our salads or on our sandwiches.
If you have been sickened after eating at a restaurant or as a result of eating any contaminated food product, you may be eligible to receive compensation for injuries, damages and losses. Contact an experienced California food poisoning lawyer to obtain more information about pursuing your legal rights.