Idaho Man Loses 7 Teeth and Suffers Facial Injuries in E-Cigarette Explosion
Idaho resident Andrew Hall lost seven teeth and suffered serious facial injuries after an e-cigarette he was smoking exploded in his face. According to news reports, Hall also suffered second-degree burns and was left with chunks of plastic wedged to his face. Hall posted images not just of his injuries, but also the damage the explosion had caused to his bathroom where he was smoking. The image showed a smashed sink, blood splattered sink and fire damage on the walls.
A Dire Warning from the Victim
Hall urged other e-cigarette users to think twice before picking up the device. He said in his Facebook post that he has been smoking e-cigarettes for about a year and that he took all precautions to prevent such an incident. He said he has “lost at least seven teeth, suffered second degree burns to his face and neck and has been pulling out chunks of plastic, teeth and foreign objects from his mouth throat and lips.” Hall says his e-cigarette was in good working order and that he used the battery correctly. Since being uploaded, Hall’s post has been shared more than 330,000 times. He remains in the intensive care unit of a local hospital where he is being treated for his injuries.
Reports of E-Cig Explosions
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has identified about 66 explosions in 2015 and early 2016 after recording 92 explosions from 2009 to September 2015. Many safety experts around the country say that the numbers kept by the FDA might be underreported. Just one hospital, the University of Washington Medicine Regional Burn Center at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle, said it has seen more than 20 patients with e-cigarette burn injuries since it started tracking them informally in October 2015.
E-cigarette explosions have resulted in significant injuries to users around the country. A number of people have suffered burn injuries to their legs and groin area because they left the device in their pockets. Some people, like Andrew Hall, have suffered major facial injuries and disfigurement because the device exploded in their faces as they were smoking it. In one Florida man’s case, an exploding e-cigarette send him into a coma for days.
This issue has gotten so serious that Senator Chuck Schumer has called for a recall of these defective devices. As product defect attorneys who protect the rights of victims of faulty products, we would like to see the FDA get involved and force a recall of these devices that are severely injuring and even disabling so many people. If you or a loved one has been injured in an e-cigarette explosion, you may be eligible to receive compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. An experienced product liability lawyer can help you better understand your legal rights and options.