Girl Burned after E-Cigarette Fireball Hits Her on Harry Potter Ride
A 14-year-old girl suffered burn injuries after a malfunctioning e-cigarette shot what was described as a “fireball” on the Hogwarts Express train at Universal Orlando in Florida. According to news reports, the girl was taking the ride between Universal Studios and the Islands of Adventure park with her family the afternoon of October 1, 2016 when the device, which was in the pocket of a man who was on the train, exploded.
The e-cigarette explosion left the man with leg injuries. The explosion also burned a hole in the train seat and the ride was temporarily shut down. The fireball from the explosion burned a side of the girl’s face. She was transported to an area hospital with moderate burn injuries on the right side of her face.
This incident happened in Orange County, Florida. But, e-cigarettes have also exploded and injured people right here in Orange County, California. In fact, we’re looking at more and more reports around the nation where people are suffering severe burn injuries and disfigurement as these e-cigarettes explode in their faces while in use or in their pockets. Recently a surveillance camera at a convenience store in New Jersey caught the image of an e-cigarette exploding in a woman’s handbag. The heat was so intense that it melted the other contents of her purse.
Why Do E-Cigs Explode?
E-cigarettes use lithium-ion batteries, which are also the kind that go in everyday items we use such as laptops and cell phones. However, the batteries we put in our gadgets go through rigorous quality screening. The batteries that go in the e-cigarettes are not subject to the same, stringent standards. They are often cheaply made with substandard parts, which makes them prone to malfunctioning.
If you have been injured by a malfunctioning or exploding e-cigarette, it is important that you preserve the device so it can be thoroughly examined for evidence. It is also crucial that you get prompt medical attention and treatment for your injuries and contact an experienced e-cigarette explosion lawyer who will ensure that you are fairly and full compensation for your losses.