E-Cigarette Explosion in Anaheim Causes Severe Burn Injuries
Mohamad Zayid Abdihdy, 24, who was shopping for a television at an Anaheim store, was seriously burned after an e-cigarette exploded in his pocket. According to an NBC Los Angeles news report, Abdihdy was in at the HDTV Outlet store in Anaheim on Aug. 25. After choosing a model, the man went to the front of the store to do the paperwork when the explosion occurred. The manager of the store said he saw Abdihdy running out to the front of the office screaming. His right leg had been entirely burned extending all the way up to his genitals.
Abdihdy said he felt a shock in his pocket and the device began to burn him. He said it blew up in his pocket. The manager had to put out the e-cigarette, which was still burning on the store’s floor. Abdihdy told NBC he was in pain and had trouble walking. He also said he was going to stop smoking e-cigarettes and go back to a hookah.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the injured victim. We wish him the very best for a speedy and complete recovery.
The Danger of E-Cigarettes
E-cigarettes are lithium-ion battery-operated devices that simulate smoking by heating a nicotine-solution into a vapor that the user inhales. E-cigarette use is becoming rapidly popular as an alternative to traditional cigarette smoking especially among teens and young adults because it has yet to be properly regulated. However, these products can be extremely dangerous.
According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency, between January 2009 and December 31, 2016, there were 195 separate incidents of explosion and fire involving an electronic cigarette reported by U.S. media. These incidents resulted in 133 acute injuries, and of these injuries 29 percent were severe. About 62 percent of the incidents involving e-cigarette fires and explosions occurred when the device or battery was in a pocket or actively in use. The shape and construction of e-cigarettes can make them behave like “flaming rockets” when a battery fails.
If You Have Been Injured
A number of e-cigarette fires and explosions occur because these devices are manufactured with cheap and substandard parts. If you have been injured by a defective e-cigarette, you may be able to obtain compensation for damages such as medical expenses, lost income, hospitalization, rehabilitation, cost of skin graft surgery, pain and suffering and emotional distress. An experienced product defect lawyer who has handled similar cases will be able to advise victims regarding their legal rights and options.