Customer Files Personal Injury Lawsuit Against Nail Salon After Losing Toe
A woman has filed a personal injury lawsuit against a Santa Clarita nail salon claiming that a botched pedicure gave her an infection as a result of which she had to have her toe amputated. According to a CBS Los Angeles news report, Sonia Algara filed the lawsuit in Los Angeles Superior Court against Dynasty Nails, a salon on Boquet Canyon Road. Algara said she went to the salon for a $20 pedicure on March 15, 2015.
Amputation of Infected Toe
An employee used a pair of scissors to cut in between the plaintiff’s fourth and fifth toe on her left foot, the lawsuit stated. The incision caused severe pain and infection and eventually led to the pinky toe needing to be amputated within a week. The woman’s lawyer also said she is diabetic and warned the salon that she carries a greater risk of infection.
Doctors had no choice but to remove the infected toe, the lawsuit said. Algara said the disfigurement from the loss of the toe has affected her balance, the ability to wear certain types of shoes and has left her unable to walk up stairs. She is seeking unspecified damages for medical expenses, pain and suffering and emotional distress.
Choosing a Nail Salon
Most of us don’t think twice about choosing a nail salon. Apparently, the nail salon named in this particular lawsuit got three and a half stars on Yelp, which is what most of us use to do our homework. Here are a few tips when it comes to picking a nail salon:
• Cleanliness is important. Pay attention to how the salon treats its tools and dirty items. Make sure they are not cutting costs by not using cleaning supplies.
• Don’t be shy to ask questions. There is nothing worse than going in for a pedicure and coming out with a foot infection.
• Be aware of the products they use on you.
• Say “no” to painful pedicures. It’s not supposed to hurt. If it does, it could mean that your nail technician is not properly trained. Your experience should be relaxing, not uncomfortable.
• Nail salons are not only responsible for beautifying your nails, but also for maintaining the health of your nails.
If you have doubts about the cleanliness of the location or competence of the technician, stay away from the salon! It’s simply not worth it.